Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Can't Think of a Witty Title for this Post

Back in October when I started this blogging venture it was recommended to us newbys that we read Problogger, a book by a couple of fellows who have managed to make a truck load of cash from their very successful blogs.  Perhaps that's why the book is called Problogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income.

I never had any serious intention of trying to make money from this blog but I thought it would be an interesting read because surely anyone who make a killing from their blog must have a killer blog.

The thing is, it takes four chapters before the authors even mention content.  Surely people have to read your blog - a lot - before they would even consider clicking on an ad or buying one of your products.

The statistics they spit out are phenomenal:  a new blog is created every second and there are already tens of millions of blogs in existence.  That's a whole lot of self indulgence.  What do these tens of millions of blogger write about?  Debating the merits of of guinea pigs?  Detailing word for word the offensively funny things a man says in his sleep?*

More importantly perhaps, is the question: who reads this stuff?

In my case, it's predominantly friends and family and I love you for it.  But one of the clever little gadgets that comes with Blogspot is a stats thingamajiggy and it tells me where my readers come from.  Not in so much detail that I will be fronting up to your door with a dozen cupcakes, but it tells me which country you all live in. 

No big surprise that the majority of my audience live in Australia (onya mates) and a smattering from the US, but I was a little surprised to see that I had visits from people in Malaysia, Germany, Russia, New Zealand, Mexico, Ireland and Slovenia, France and Canada.

Of course they could have accidentally stumbled upon me after hitting the 'next blog' button at the top of the screen.  Try it (after you finish reading me, that is), you will get a completely random blog.  Probably they have to come to me via a link from one of my blog friends. 

But to all of you, thank you wherever you are for reading my blog.  Let me know what you like to read.  Of course if you want me to make inane, funny and offensive comments about random things while I am sleeping you will have to head over to the other blog.

On the other hand, he has 12,000 followers, a few more than me, so maybe he is onto something. 

___________________________________________________
*Both of these blogs actually exist.  Guinea Pigs. Sleep-talking man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...