Thursday, May 19, 2011

Old Time(r) Rock and Roll

I have always been an avid listener of TripleJ.

From my teenage years, right through uni, when I was married, through my 20s and into my 30s, it was the only station for me. 

Probably by the time I hit my 30s I began to realise that many of the presenters were a good decade younger than me.  They would talk about their 21st birthdays... in the future! They would talk about what they had done at school, the previous year!  And they would talk about being born in the 1980s and 1990s...

When one of the older and more respectable presenters left TripleJ to work on an 'adult' radio station I begun to wonder whether I was getting too old for a 'youth' network.  But I loved the music and even if I didn't always understand what the presenters were saying I still felt I wanted to beat the drum.

Yet, driving home from uni yesterday it became clear that I had begun to listen to a new station.

It started with the Perth bushfires back in March, when I tuned into 720AM to get updates of the fires.

Then I began tuning in on Wednesdays as I was driving home from uni to get the road reports.

Then I realised that I had stayed on 720AM for over a week and was happy listening to the news, the talkback and the old time music.

It was rather unsettling.

Does this mean I am old now?  Can you ever really go back when you make the switch?

How do you know that you're getting old?

6 comments:

  1. At least you haven't gone commercial....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so pleased to read this, I've been going through exactly the same dilemma, because I don't *want* to give up Triple J but well, yes, obviously the target audience is rather a lot younger than me ... and some of the stuff they talk about just isn't relevant to me anymore. Lately I have been dividing my time between Triple J and Noongar Radio (100.9FM - conveniently close to Triple J) - not real commercials and less talk of 21st birthday parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RTR fm all the way (except for the too loud bits)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum emailed and said that 720 is the thinking person's station. I feel so much better... thanks everyone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shan does your Mum email you instead of commenting - so does mine - irritates me no end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listen to Hack on Triple J as I'm driving home from work - kind of newsy/720-esque? Definitely agree with Noongar Radio - it's surprisingly good (and also plays the best pop songs from my uni days)...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...